The unelected Met Council is trying to ram through light rail "drain trains" in the Twin Cities despite the cost and burden these projects put on the taxpayers across the state. Your support for this petition is required to stop these projects in their tracks.
State Coordinator, Minnesota Campaign for Liberty
Petition to Stop the Light Rail Drain Trains
To my State Legislators and Governor Dayton
Whereas, the initial construction cost of the Southwest Light Rail Transit (LRT) line from Minneapolis to Eden Prairie is estimated to top $1.6 billion.
Whereas, once built, passenger fares are expected to cover only 30% of operating costs of the Southwest LRT line, leaving an additional 70% to be paid for by Minnesota taxpayers.
Whereas, on top of the Southwest Light Rail line, the unelected Met Council is actively hatching plans to build the Bottineau Light Rail line from Minneapolis up to Brooklyn Park at a cost of an additional $1 billion.
Whereas, the unelected Met Council was created by an act of the Legislature and all of its powers, including those being used to ram through the Southwest and Bottineau drain trains, were granted by the Legislature.
Whereas, the high cost of the Southwest and Bottineau lines will be borne by both local residents and taxpayers across the state in the form of property, sales and other taxes, thereby diverting money that could be spent on roads and bridges or used to lower the burden on Minnesota taxpayers.
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, we the undersigned demand that the Minnesota Legislature and Governor Dayton stop the Met Council from pouring more taxpayer money into the huge money pits that are the Southwest and Bottineau light rail lines.
Be it further resolved, that we demand that the Legislature and Governor Dayton oppose any future attempts by the Met Council or any other agency to use taxpayer money to build any light rail or high speed transit in Minnesota.
Be it further resolved, that we demand that the Legislature and Governor Dayton stop any funding for any projects having anything to do with planning, surveying, designing, or researching any future light rail lines.